Workplace Violence

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-31-2010 9:43 PM by Cica. 3 replies.
  • 03-31-2010 2:18 PM

• kimputers
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2010
    • NC
    • Posts 1

Workplace Violence

I'm currently dealing with violence in the workplace at my present employer. I have been written up twice in a one month period on unjust issues. My direct manager has a strong anamosity towards me directly. He speaks down on me, has an aggresive attitude.keeps me out of the loop on issue, never since being hired had an evaluationor objective. Other co-workers have been given assignments and tools to worth with. When it comes to me the excuses where not justifiable when asking for equipment to train and testing purposes to support our clients. Never had any complaints from any of my direct clients just with the direct manager and co-workers. Yes, they have teamed up on me and also spying on me.

First write I have dicuss with my manager one on one and he clearly stated that he did not care about my excuse for calling in on Dec 18th due to my Wife being sick and that was NC forst snow day and my 3 kids where release from school early.  At that time I had days acumulated for sick, descretionary, and vacation. he ruled it as a unscheduled event and i received the write up while on vacation.

Other write ups included fictious events I was never approached with but was cleared up during our meeting. Which the manager states he had no knowledge and would have approached the scenarios differently.

By the way I have all this recorded for my own sanity.

I asked my manager being that issue where not understood on his behalf would he extract the written notice. He replied "He would but it's already in HR hands and once it gets t that point he could not retract it back".

Well I asked the HR manager and she stated that he can pull it back but it was at his discrection.

I also have my manager clearly stating that "If I knew what these Doctors and Directors where saying and doing above my pay scale I would have to ask myself why would I want to do this type of work". I do not where he was going with that statement but it's recorded. along with him saying this place meaning (Duke University is a miserable place since he's been at Duke for over 18 years).

Actually if I would known my workplace was a miserable place I would had second thoughts.

Once again this recorded for my own sanity.

Second written notice was delivered within two weeks of the first written notice.

Anxiety, panic and depression kicked in full blast. I was and still baffled behind this scenario.

I really feel he's making evey attempt to get rid of me.

Second written notice was on not notifying him about my FMLA dates, which he was fairly warned prior to me taking FMLA, and I was written up on a co-worker stating that I did not follow directions on configuring some e-tablets. I have all this in an email text where the co-worker when I asked to return the devices so I can see what errors I supposebly have made. He clearly stated that it was to late and he has no proof, but I got written up for it. Clearly a set up to get me written up again.

Not understanding how this manager have had his wife working for him on payroll.

He was selling his Wife art collection on company time and in the main conference room.

He shows heavy favoritism towards white counter parts (co workers)

He made statement to me that it's time to load up on ammo since Obama was elected as Presidient. He clearly made this statement when my co-workers where not present.

I have filed a complaint with EEOC and still working on the case, Honestly they do very little to help.

I must mention that I am the only african American on my direct team and at the age of 45. I mentally have broke down and seeing a Psychiatrics and family Doctor. I have been on FMLA for a month and the prescriptions drugs haveme disoriented everyday, and sleep late in the morning. Short term disability have been denied and I have no incme to support my family of five. But yet bills are climbing. I believe this was part the scheme to 

• 03-31-2010 3:19 PM In reply to

Re: Workplace Violence

kimputers:
    I'm currently dealing with violence in the workplace at my present employer.

No, you aren't.

Unless somebody physically assaults you, there's no violence. When somebody does physically assault you, you call the police, right then, right there, you don't even think about it.

kimputers:
    I have been written up twice in a one month period on unjust issues. My direct manager has a strong anamosity towards me directly. He speaks down on me, has an aggresive attitude.keeps me out of the loop on issue, never since being hired had an evaluationor objective. Other co-workers have been given assignments and tools to worth with. When it comes to me the excuses where not justifiable when asking for equipment to train and testing purposes to support our clients. Never had any complaints from any of my direct clients just with the direct manager and co-workers. Yes, they have teamed up on me and also spying on me.

None of that is illegal.

kimputers:
    First write I have dicuss with my manager one on one and he clearly stated that he did not care about my excuse for calling in on Dec 18th due to my Wife being sick and that was NC forst snow day and my 3 kids where release from school early. At that time I had days acumulated for sick, descretionary, and vacation. he ruled it as a unscheduled event and i received the write up while on vacation. Other write ups included fictious events I was never approached with but was cleared up during our meeting. Which the manager states he had no knowledge and would have approached the scenarios differently.

He's the boss. He doesn't have to care about excuses. And he can write you up for whatever he wants to.

kimputers:
    By the way I have all this recorded for my own sanity.
    OK. That's legal in NC for all the good it will do you.
    kimputers:
    I asked my manager being that issue where not understood on his behalf would he extract the written notice. He replied "He would but it's already in HR hands and once it gets t that point he could not retract it back". Well I asked the HR manager and she stated that he can pull it back but it was at his discrection. I also have my manager clearly stating that "If I knew what these Doctors and Directors where saying and doing above my pay scale I would have to ask myself why would I want to do this type of work". I do not where he was going with that statement but it's recorded. along with him saying this place meaning (Duke University is a miserable place since he's been at Duke for over 18 years). Actually if I would known my workplace was a miserable place I would had second thoughts. Once again this recorded for my own sanity. Second written notice was delivered within two weeks of the first written notice. Anxiety, panic and depression kicked in full blast. I was and still baffled behind this scenario. I really feel he's making evey attempt to get rid of me. Second written notice was on not notifying him about my FMLA dates, which he was fairly warned prior to me taking FMLA, and I was written up on a co-worker stating that I did not follow directions on configuring some e-tablets. I have all this in an email text where the co-worker when I asked to return the devices so I can see what errors I supposebly have made. He clearly stated that it was to late and he has no proof, but I got written up for it. Clearly a set up to get me written up again.

Nothing illegal about any of that.

kimputers:
    Not understanding how this manager have had his wife working for him on payroll.

He's the boss.

Bosses get to do stuff like that.

kimputers:
    He was selling his Wife art collection on company time and in the main conference room.

He's the boss.

Bosses get to do stuff like that.

kimputers:
    He shows heavy favoritism towards white counter parts (co workers). I must mention that I am the only african American on my direct team and at the age of 45.
    Well, maybe there is something there, maybe there isn't. How many other African Americans over the age of 45 work for your company and are they being treated the same way you are?
    kimputers:
    He made statement to me that it's time to load up on ammo since Obama was elected as Presidient. He clearly made this statement when my co-workers where not present.

That's not a racial issue. It's a gun rights issue. Every gun owner in America (including me) has been saying that since the election and has been stocking up on guns and ammo. And we all felt the same way about Clinton.

Sometimes jobs and work environments suck. I've had employers who were absolute scumbags and lost jobs because of it. Seems to me that you should have been looking for another job along time ago.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 03-31-2010 6:57 PM In reply to

Re: Workplace Violence

Nowhere in your lengthy post do I find the least indication that any workplace violence is taking place or that you have been assaulted by anyone.

If you believe you are being treated less favorably because of your race, then you should file a complaint with the EEOC which you have already done.  FYI, the EEOC doesn't intervene in the workplace and "help" you, they investigate your claim and issue an opinion on whether it's likely that any prohibited discrimination took place.

• 03-31-2010 9:43 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,519

And, once you receive the right-to-sue

from EEOC, which about 90%+ complainants find in their mail box, all that means is "Yes, indeedy.  You may search for an attorney."

The problem is that upon receipt of your right-to-sue, you have 90 days only in which to find an attorney.  If a lawsuit is not filed within 90 days, your right-to-sue expires, and the possibility of any case is closed.

It would be to your benefit to start contacting a few employment law attorneys in your area to run your claim past them.  They will determine if you have a possible case, and if they would be interested in representing you.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community