Approximately how long does it take to receive settlement?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 05-16-2010 5:38 AM by Dawn1950. 10 replies.
  • 04-14-2010 11:53 PM

Approximately how long does it take to receive settlement?

The bitter divorce with my "ex"-husband is final over. Even though this was an uncontest divorce after a while it was still pretty nasty. The judge has final added the finishing touches to the divorce papers. I was wondering how long will it take for me to receive the cash settlement check that my husband's lawyer and my lawyer agreed to? Will I get the check directly from my husband's attorney or will his attorney send the check to my lawyer than have my lawyer send me the check? How long does this process usually take? There is no real estate or anything; it is just a cash settlement.

• 04-15-2010 12:15 AM In reply to

Re: Approximately how long does it take to receive settlemen...

Your ex and his lawyer will probably drag it out as long as possible.

Talk to your lawyer so you and he can be ready to file a contempt citation when it becomes apparent that your ex is not complying with the divorce decree within a reasonable amount of time.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 04-15-2010 12:27 AM In reply to

Thank you very much Adjuster Jack for your helpful information.

What would be "reasonable amount of time" for something like this? Like 5-6 month or something like that.

His lawyer did tell my lawyer that once the judge signs the order, he won't "sit" on it. Hopefully he keeps to his word. The judge signed it maybe a week ago.

• 04-15-2010 11:44 AM In reply to

Danellia29:
    What would be "reasonable amount of time" for something like this? Like 5-6 month or something like that.

Personally, I'd give it 30 days and then start pushing.

Danellia29:
    His lawyer did tell my lawyer that once the judge signs the order, he won't "sit" on it. Hopefully he keeps to his word. The judge signed it maybe a week ago.

Unfortunately, lawyer standard time is different from ordinary people. What people can do in a day, lawyers take a week. What people do in a week, lawyers do in a month. What people do in a month..., well, you get the idea. Ok

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 04-15-2010 12:15 PM In reply to

Thank you once again Adjuster Jack. Your time and help is very well appreciated. Thank you a ton. Have a great day.

• 04-15-2010 12:29 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,303

Would be nice if your lawyer were crafty enough to get delivery date spelled out in order plus a tight default clause

which visits collection costs on defaulting side plus hefty interest rate .

• 04-15-2010 2:08 PM In reply to

Drew: Apparently she didn't because she stated to me that she isn't sure when this will come to me. I can only hope soon though; I can't see how hard it should be for him to collect the check, send it to my lawyer and have my lawyer sent it to me.

But as Adjuster Jack said...what people can do in a day, lawyers take a week. Ok

• 05-12-2010 11:46 AM In reply to

Thank you for everyone help. I am in the process of thinking what to say to my lawyer about the situation. I don't want it to make it look like she isn't doing her job but its been over a month and I haven't heard anything and nothing has been done. I would understand if the money was tied up or if the person didn't have the money but its just sitting in a bank.

Could someone just give me a quick run down of what to say to my lawyer? I know I want to ask her if there was a date in the agreement. The other side(ex-husband) was that the funds won't be released until the judge signed the order. Judge signed it and there is very little movement.

Thank you once again everyone. Ok

• 05-12-2010 12:14 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,303

Once the order is signed there may still be a 30 day appeal window--and to attorney logic something is not final until the last window closes --and the the word soon may mean 30 more days.

Read the agreement and look for dates or times--you should get a copy for your records soon after its entered?

Now if you "bug" your attorney you may succeed  in getting  $ 100 bills for short polite phone calls but it won't speed up process.--I'd think about 45 days AFTER the signed order is issued by court is time to call your lawyer and ask for "tentative schedule dates."

• 05-13-2010 11:13 PM In reply to

Thank you for your help and advice Drew. I really apprciate it, I will contact my attorney at the end of the month, maybe more time is needed. Thanks once again.

-Danellia

• 05-16-2010 5:38 AM In reply to

• Dawn1950
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-08-2009
    • NY
    • Posts 58

Re: Approximately how long does it take to receive settlemen

It's probably not a bad idea to put your specific questions in writing and fire off a letter to your attorney... RETURN RECEIPT.  You could politely state that on March XYZ an order by Judge John Doe was signed and to date you have not received your cash settlement as agreed upon, etc.  As an earlier poster mentioned, it is hoped that your divorce papers addressed how non compliance of the court order will be handled.  Typically if one party does not comply with the court order....that party will be responsible for court costs and attorney fees, etc.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community