The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US funding

Latest post Thu, May 25 2017 4:05 PM by haris123. 52 replies.
  • Fri, Apr 16 2010 10:21 PM

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 16 2010
    • VA
    • Posts 14

J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US funding

Normal 0 false false false EN-US ZH-CN X-NONE Normal 0 false false false EN-US ZH-CN X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplo...

Hi,

I need some advice on optaining a J-waiver based on a "No Objection" statement.I am willing to hire someone if that will really help my case.

Here are the facts:

1) I was with a J-1 visa for my M.S. studies in Electrical Eng. between 2004 and 2006.My funding was about $28K for two years (partial scholarship) it covered my tution and health insurance, I had to pay about $20K living expenses from my own funds. The scholarship was funded by the state department.

2) Since then I am on an F-1 visa for Ph.D. studies in the same university.

3) My country (Cyprus) recently started issuing "No objection statements" http://www.cyprusembas...

4) The Cyprus embassy consular told me that "some people with the same scholarship (CASP) are getting approved for the waiver and some are not"

5) AMIDEAST, the organization that administers the scholarship (funded by the US state dept.) told me "we recommend against the waiver because the skills obtained in the US are not going to benefit Cyprus. However, the state department makes its own decisions on a case by case basis, and sometimes they do grant the waiver"

http://www.amideast.or...

6) I am about to get my Ph.D. in Electrical Eng. I will probably have a Post Doc. appointment for my opt. depending on funding availability, I might be able (also depending on funding) to extent it for multible years, hence I will need the waiver to get an H1-B.

7) The only subjective part that I provide in the waiver application is the "Statement of Reason"

What I need is advice to help me maximize my changes of getting the waiver like:

1) Does it matter when I apply? Now? during my opt?

2) Does it help my case if I have a prospective employer? or a nice letter from my Post Doc proffessor (he is very well known in my field). BTW, my Post Doc project is likely to be sponsored from DARPA or through a navy branch.

3) What arguments can I make in the statement of reason?

4) Is any database of past cases that I or a lawyer can access?

Any input it will be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks in advnace,

Haris

Some more info on the scholarship:

From http://www.iawg.gov/re...

2001 Report

Cyprus-America Scholarship Program

Founded in 1981, the Cyprus-America Scholarship Program (CASP) is a human resource development program

originally sponsored by the U.S. Agency for International Development but currently under the sponsorship of

ECA.

CASP's mission is to strengthen the pool of trained manpower to assist in the economic and social development of

Cyprus. The program is administered in Cyprus by the Cyprus Fulbright Commission (CFC); AMIDEAST is

contracted by the CFC to handle the U.S.-based program activity. CASP works with both the Greek and Turkish

Cypriot communities. CASP's mission is being met by providing academic scholarships for Greek and Turkish

Cypriot students who have come to the United States to study for both bachelor's and master's degrees at

American universities. Thus far, more than 1,300 Cypriots have received degrees through the program. The

program also supports short-term, technical training in areas targeted by the Cyprus Planning Bureau. Over 600

mid-career professionals, in both the public and private sectors, have upgraded their skills in collaboration with

American counterparts.

The program also recently began sponsoring bicommunal training both in Cyprus and the United States. While

bicommunalism is implicit in all CASP activities, a series of workshops has been specifically designed to bring

Greek and Turkish Cypriots together to establish a foundation for cooperation and communication and to provide a

basis for future collaborative effort. The subjects chosen for these workshops are management, conflict resolution,

and journalism, and thus far have involved more than 1,000 participants at all levels of the Cypriot society. The

Cypriot participants on CASP have had a chance to experience firsthand the culture and the educational system of

the United States, as well as to introduce their own country and culture to the Americans they meet. They return

home with an enhanced understanding that is the key characteristic of educational and technical exchange.

Economic Prosperity (Economic Development); Democracy & Human

Rights; Global Issues (Health); Mutual Understanding

National Interests:

$3,980,000 0 332

Total U.S.

Government Funding

Number of U.S.

Participants

Number of Foreign

Participants

All participants crossed international borders; no participa

• Wed, Apr 21 2010 7:27 PM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

Re: J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US fundi...

Can at least someone recommend a very experienced lawyer that can assist on this issue? Thanks

• Wed, Apr 21 2010 7:33 PM In reply to

No Virginia attorneys currently participate in the boards and site rules prohibit the soliciting of clients and making referrals.  The best thing to do is use the "Find A Lawyer" feature on this site and locate a reputable firm in VA.  Good luck.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Wed, Apr 21 2010 7:47 PM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

Thank you. Since this is an immigration issue, it the attorney does not have to be from VA. Anyway, I will try to find a lawyer by other means.

• Wed, May 12 2010 8:14 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 12 2010
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Re: J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US funding

Hi Harris,

I am in the same boat with you. I am also from Cyprus. I was a J-1 student (got funding through Fulbright) for 2 years between 2003-2005 (Masters), and since 2005, I have been a F-1 student in the same university (during PhD).

I got a job offer recently, but now, I need to apply for a waiver. I am currently working on my personal statement, which I heard, is really important. However, I do not know what to include in this statement, some samples would help.

Thanks and good luck to you.

• Thu, May 13 2010 8:45 AM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

Hi cyp80,

The lawyers I contacted me told me that it is up to the discretion of the state department, and that it is very hard to get the waiver, since we received US government funds. However, they told me that the only hope is to convince them  that if we stay here in the USA, Cyprus is going to benefit somehow, since this was the goal of the scholarship.

Try to write your statement telling your situation and why you want the waiver, and try to give reasons that Cyprus will benefit by you getting the waiver. That's what I am trying to do.

I am still working with my statement, and I will hopefully apply sometime this month. Anyhow, I already accepted the fact that I am going back, and if I do get the waiver, that will be a bonus. About a month ago I thought I had no other option of going back anyway (I didn't know about the no objection statement from our embassy).

All the best and good luck to you too!

Haris

• Sun, Jun 20 2010 2:38 PM In reply to

• Annita
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 20 2010
    • KS
    • Posts 7

Dear Harris,

I am exaclty in the same boat as you. I'm finishing my PhD in genetics and I accepted a post-doc offer already. My plan was to do tha academic training (equivalent of OPT for J-1 holders) and then try to get a waiver so that i can get on an H visa. Did you apply for the waiver to the goverment of Cyprus or the Embassy of Cyprus in the US? Also, have you contacted the Fulbright people in Cyprus? Who did you contact first?

Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Annita

• Sun, Jun 20 2010 6:13 PM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

Dear Annita,

You FIRST apply for the waiver to the US goverment: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1296.html and THEN you will be given some information (by the US site) that you need for your "no objection" statement application to the Embassy Cyprus. I recommend that you apply ASAP because these things take time. From what I hear anywhere from 2 to 5 months.

Also see:

http://www.cyprusembassy.net/home/index.php?module=page&cid=1052

You may contact the Cyprus embassy before you send them your application to make sure that you are sending them everything they need to process your "no objection" statement request.

All the best,

Haris

• Sun, Jun 20 2010 6:42 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 12 2010
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear Harris,

One question. So, you are saying, first we need to apply to the waiver to the US government, but first, the personal statement needs to be ready, right?

Then, after we submit everything there, they will send a bar code online which will be used as one of the documents that need to be sent to the US embassy for the request for no objection letter, right?

When writing a statement, does it make much more sense to shape it around no objection from the government or on exceptional hardship?

Thanks.

Cyp80

• Sun, Jun 20 2010 7:21 PM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

Dear Cyp80,

Yes, your personal statement needs to be ready before you apply. Yes, actually you will get the barcode right away. Once you complete the application, a PDF is generated with instructions and all the forms you need for both the waiver and for applying for the "no objection" statement.

The application for the waiver is a two step process, you enter your information online, you get the PDF, you print it out, you add copies of requested material, and then you mail it to them.

If you are apply in a no-objection basis, you should shape your statement as such. If you really have exceptional hardship, then you need to apply based on that and you do not need a non-objection statement. I would recomended to find a layer for the expecptional hardship case.

All the best,

Haris

• Mon, Jun 21 2010 4:34 PM In reply to

• Annita
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • KS
    • Posts 7

Thanks for all your help. Have you heard anything from them yet?

Annita

• Mon, Jun 21 2010 9:07 PM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

You are welcome. Not yet, it is too early, it will be a success if I know by September.

• Tue, Jun 22 2010 8:22 AM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

Cyprus is an independent country, however, there is an issue between the Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities, long-story..... you can read the highlights at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprus

• Tue, Jun 22 2010 9:23 AM In reply to

• Annita
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • KS
    • Posts 7

Hey Harris,

I'm sure you know already that you can be on OPT or Academic training depending if you are on an F-1 or J-1. This will buy you some time. This is what i'm trying to do.

Annita

Page 1 of 4 (53 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community