The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US funding

Latest post Thu, May 25 2017 4:05 PM by haris123. 52 replies.
  • Tue, Jun 22 2010 9:44 AM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 16 2010
    • VA
    • Posts 14

Re: J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US funding

Hey Annita,

Yes, I know about OPT. I just applied for that as well. Thanks.

Haris

• Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:28 AM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 12 2010
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear Harris and Anita,

I recently applied for OPT and now working on my personal statement. I am too nervous what to include since I know the statement is one of the biggest indicators of a good/bad outcome.

I am trying to say in the statement about the fact that I only received $ 7000 for 2 years since the universuity paid for tuition and etc. Second is the fact that Cyprus does not object to us staying in USA, and second how it would benefit both USA but mostly Cypruis if I get more training here.

Would you mind sharing some points as what to include in this very important statement? Second, if you have a job offer, are you also attaching that to the other application materials?

Thanks.

Cyp80

• Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:16 PM In reply to

• Annita
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 20 2010
    • KS
    • Posts 7

Dear cyp80,

I haven't gone through the process yet but i did include the job offer and a brief description in the personal statement. I am planning to get a letter of the job offer and include it. You have nothing to lose.

Good luck,

Annita

• Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:26 PM In reply to

• Annita
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 20 2010
    • KS
    • Posts 7

Dear cyp80,

if you have a job offer already it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask the immigration office to go over your personal statement. It seems that they may have seen several similar situtations before so they can over your letter and give you some suggestions.

Annita

• Thu, Jun 24 2010 11:46 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear Harris and Annita,

I just talked with a friend who was on J-1 visa through his degree and then got a job in industry. He said that in industry, it is easier to get a waiver due to companies having lawyers and working with the person.

He said, in academic jobs, though, it makes sense to contact a lawyer. What is the best strategy to find an immigration lawyer?

Thank you so much.

Cyp80

• Fri, Jun 25 2010 12:10 AM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

Dear Cyp80,

You can try contacting a lawyer. However, the ones I contacted told me that it  is very hard to impossible to get the waiver in the "no objection" basis because the money came from the US government and the lawyers refused to take the case. I was told that it depends solely on the state department and that nobody knows what really happens in there regarding this issue. That being said, the Cyprus embassy told me "some people get it, some people are not". So it is not impossible, I think everything goes into account, how much money you got, from which program, in which field etc.

The laywers can really help you if you are applying in other basis than "no objection". You can always pay a lawyer to write your "no objection" statement but I was not able to find one that was willing to write it, so I wrote it my self.

You can try contacting your university's international office and they should have a list of lawyers that you can contact.

Haris

• Tue, Jun 29 2010 10:59 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Harris,

Have you found an immigration lawyer by any chance?

thanks.

cyp80

• Tue, Jun 29 2010 11:10 PM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

cyp80,

I already applied and I am no longer looking for a lawyer. Even if I did find one, referrals are not allowed in this forum. 

Haris

• Wed, Jun 30 2010 12:18 AM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

clear, thank you. I do not need the name, but may I ask whether you applied under no objection statement and whether you applied with a lawyer or by yourself, and finally what additional documents you sent to the department of state (such as job offer letter, or other documents)?

Could you write what you attached to your application and personal statement.

thank you.

cyp80

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 1:52 PM In reply to

• casp97
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 15 2010
    • MA
    • Posts 7

Re: J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US fundi...

I am curious what happened with your cases.

I am also a CASP scholar, and recently applied for NOS waiver, and I am stuck waiting for the sponsor views. How long did it take in your cases to hear on the sponsor views?

My brother and another Cypriot friend who had traditional Fulbright scholarships both had a favorable recommendation, but the sponsors involved were different.

thanks

Giorgos

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 2:09 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear Giorgos,

This is interesting. Could you let me know how these two traditional Fulbright scholars had a favorable recommendation, since I am a Fulbright scholar and have been told that appling to waiver under no objection is very hard for Fulbright people.

Did they apply for the waiver under "Interest of a Government Agency"? Since you said in your note above that their sponsors were different. Could you be more specific?

Thank you.

cyp80

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 2:12 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear Anita,

Are you a Fulbrigjht scholar and if you are, did you apply for the waiver under "No Objection" or 'Interest of Government Agency" since you said that you were going to attach your job offer?

I have heard that if a government agency is interested in you, then there is a better chance and I have heard no objection statements are RARELY sucessful.

Thank you.

cyp80

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 2:29 PM In reply to

• casp97
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 15 2010
    • MA
    • Posts 7

Yes, both were traditional Fulbrights, and they both got a favorable recommendation.

However, both have PhDs and I think had quite strong statements

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 2:38 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Thank you. The reasojn why I am asking is that  I am about to fnish my PhD myself, and I got an academic job offer, and I was a fulbright scholar.

I have contacted many lawyers and they told me that getting a waiver under no objection is difficult. That is why I was wondering whether they applided under no objection or interest of a government agency?

I do not need to know the details, but could you share with me under which of the four options they applied for the waiver?

Thank you.

cyp80

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 2:39 PM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 14

Giorgo,

In my case the sponsor views took about 6 weeks, a favorable recommendation was issued shortly after that.

All the best,

Haris

Page 2 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community