The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US funding

Latest post Thu, May 25 2017 4:05 PM by haris123. 52 replies.
  • Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:01 PM In reply to

• casp97
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 15 2010
    • MA
    • Posts 7

Re: J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US fundi...

Harri,

First, congratulations. 

I appreciate the response.  The other cases I know were not CASP, and they were much faster.  

Two weeks down then, hopefully only four to go.

Regards,

Giorgos

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:05 PM In reply to

• casp97
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • MA
    • Posts 7

All the cases I have been talking about are no objection based.

I used a lawyer (recommended by my school) who has done successfully other cases like mine.

• Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:12 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 12 2010
    • OH
    • Posts 16

this is great news. I wish I could find a lawyer as such, since the ones that I have contacted basically say that I do not have any chance under no objection since I am a fulbright scholar (even if i get no objection statement from the government).

So, I am pretty much stuck and I am trying to find someone myself.

cyp80

• Sun, Sep 19 2010 12:02 PM In reply to

• Annita
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 20 2010
    • KS
    • Posts 7

Re: J-Waiver based on "No Objection" Statement with US funding

Dear cyp80,

Yes I am a Fulbright scholar but I decided to wait to apply for the waiver for the following reason. I have just completed my PhD in genetics and started a postdoc. My J-1 status gives me up to three years of academic training which is the equivalent of OPT. So, since I have three more years I decided that it may not be a good idea to apply for the waiver right now since they can come back and tell me that since I have three more years why would they give me the waiver. Therefore I decided to wait two more years maybe and then apply saying that because of my research I need some more time.

You cannot apply for the academic training?

Annita

• Sat, Oct 2 2010 9:44 PM In reply to

• casp97
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • MA
    • Posts 7

My case was just approved.  

Here's my timeline:

Item Action Date

Recommendation Sent October 01, 2010

Sponsor Views Received September 29, 2010

No Objection Statement Received August 30, 2010

Request for Sponsor Views Sent August 30, 2010

Fee Received July 28, 2010

Form DS-3035 Received July 28, 2010

Form DS-2019 Received July 28, 2010

Passport Data Page Received July 28, 2010

Form G-28 Received July 28, 2010

Statement Of Reason Received July 28, 2010

• Sat, Oct 2 2010 10:52 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear casp97,

Congratulations, this is great. I have some questions. One is that did you apply with a lawyer, or by yourself? Are you a casp or Fulbright scholar? Did you apply under no objection or Interest by government agency? It says in your timeline that "sponsor views were received", could you tell what sponsor views (if you are applying under no objection)? Also, what were some of the things you wrote in your no objection statement? Where are you from originally if I may ask?

My apologies is that i am asking many questions. it is just like i am working under OPT now, and i am in the process of applying under no objection myself, and the lawyers i talked to said that being a Fulbright scholar, i have almost no chance in getting a waiver approved under no objection (but interest in government agency mignt improve my chances). They told me that i should try to apply for O-1 visa since it will save me some time (like 3 years), and then i could apply for J-1 waiver they said after my O-1 expires (if I can get O-1 visa).

Thank you for this information and i would appreciate your response.

• Sat, Oct 2 2010 11:03 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear Haris,

Congratulations. This is great news, Could you tell us about your time frame for the waiver approval? Also, i remember that you have applied under no objection.

For that, what sponsors did you use? i believe it is necessary to send sponsor views as well. what are those? Are they things such as letter from the employer about your credentials, your education advisor, etc?

Could you be a little specific so that I make sure to send those with my application as well?

thank you.

cyp80

• Sun, Oct 3 2010 3:30 PM In reply to

• haris123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 16 2010
    • VA
    • Posts 14

@Giorgos: Congratulations!!! That's great news!

@cyp80: my timeline is similar to Giorgos, mine was during the summer and the sponsor views took a little bit longer. I included a letter from my Postdoc professor stating that it will beneficial for me to serve in the project for more than a year. You can answer most of your other questions by looking at the previous posts in this thread. Good luck! Kai sta dika sou!!! :)

• Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:39 AM In reply to

• iacovou
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 27 2010
    • VA
    • Posts 1

Hi Giorgo,

I am glad to hear that you received a fav recom.

Am on the same boat with all of you guys also from Cyprus doing my masters degree in DC.

So Giorgo did you also have a phd?Do you know anybody with only a Masters degree who have received a waiver?

Thanks for the help!

Iacovos

• Sun, Oct 31 2010 5:49 PM In reply to

• casp97
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • MA
    • Posts 7

Yes, I do have a PhD.

I do not personally know of anyone who applied after only a masters, but my sample size is quite small :-)

Giorgos

• Sun, Oct 31 2010 6:59 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Giorgos,

First of all congratulations and thank you for sharing this news with us. I am about to finish my PhD in 6 months or so. I am working under OPT now and i am in the process of applying for no objection waiver. I am a fullbright scholar.

I had some questions for you. One is are you a fullbright scholar? Since I heard that the personal statement needs to be pretty strong; do you mind sharing some general ideas as to what to include in personal stamement? How long was your personal statement?  Did you apply yourself or with a lawyer? Did you get a favorable letter from Cyprus Fullbright Commission from back home? How long did you have to wait for the decision AFTER you sent the application materials?

Thank you.

Cyp80

• Sun, Oct 31 2010 11:23 PM In reply to

• casp97
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • MA
    • Posts 7

Cyp80,

I already answered all these questions.  Timeline, phd (yes), lawyer (yes, one recommended by MIT, with 100% hit rate on the j-1s she takes over), CASP not traditional Fulbright, etc, are all here:

http://community.lawyers.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?u=280909&o=DateAscending

I can share my personal statement.

I also included my bio, and 7 recommendation letters from academics and entrepreneurs in both the US and Cyprus.  The statement and the letters supported why I have served, and can continue to serve Cyprus better, and the original intend of the scholarship (educational and cultural exchange between the US and Cyprus) by staying in the US, instead of going back to Cyprus.

Here's my full name below.  
    Google me to find out how to contact me.

Regards,

Giorgos Zacharia

• Mon, Nov 1 2010 8:05 AM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear Giorgos,

Thanks for your response. I will contact you through email.Thanks for all your willigness to help.

cyp80

• Thu, Mar 31 2011 11:55 AM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear all,

It has been some time. Just to update you that after months of hard work, my application packages were sent to Department of State and home embassy in Washington ten days ago.

Now, waiting to hear from them for the next 2-3 months. I will keep you informed once a decision has been made and i will also write the timeframe.

Best,

cyp80

• Fri, Apr 29 2011 4:04 PM In reply to

• cyp80
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • OH
    • Posts 16

Dear Haris and Giorgos,

I am in the same position now. Two weeks went by, no news from sponsor views. I hope 4 weeks to go and not more. I worry that it might take longer than 6 weeks but I guess, i will need to wait and see.

cyp80

Page 3 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community