Stolen and Cashed Savings Bonds (EE)

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 05-10-2010 2:19 PM by Drew. 9 replies.
  • 05-10-2010 12:26 PM

• mjk5606
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-10-2010
    • FL
    • Posts 4

Stolen and Cashed Savings Bonds (EE)

I have been recieving savings bonds since 1999 through a family trust on my mother's side.  When my parents divorced, I was taken out of the trust and I no longer recieve bonds. I will be moving to go to college in the Fall and was interested in cashing some of my savings bonds.  I filled out a lost bonds form and the Treasury sent me a letter stating of the 9 bonds, all were redeemed and a copy of the reciepts.  My mother stole and cashed my bonds.  She did so when I was a minor, but it says POD by her name.  I spoke with the bank and they said they were not allowd to cash them without a death certificate.  She even forged my signature on two of them (she did not sign her name also).  What can I do? 

• 05-10-2010 12:35 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,508

Re: Stolen and Cashed Savings Bonds (EE)

If your signature was forged then that sure seems like a crime to me--two crimes if two forgeries....you do know what to do about a crime don't you?

Aside, its a form of extortion, a crime, by itself , to threaten Mom to make good by a threat of turning her over to law enforcement if she doesn't make good--but its sort of what you consider to do but to NOT step over the line with a direct threat.  Be careful not to cross the line.

But if Mom forged the instruments and you can prove they were forged--so be it!

• 05-10-2010 12:48 PM In reply to

Something is wrong there.

mjk5606:
    it says POD by her name

That tells me that the bonds were not in a trust but were in her name payable to you upon her death.

That means that they weren't yours and she didn't steal them.

She had every right to cash them while she was still alive.

As for the two where she signed your name, you'll have to explain that a little clearer.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 05-10-2010 1:03 PM In reply to

• mjk5606
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-10-2010
    • FL
    • Posts 4

My mother has a history of drug use.  I would not doubt that she used them for just that purpose.  Ihave not spoken with her in over 2 years.  And to clarify, they were my bonds payable to her upon my death.  I obviously am still living.

• 05-10-2010 1:05 PM In reply to

• mjk5606
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-10-2010
    • FL
    • Posts 4

And it was over $9000 worth.  Something to be upset over.

• 05-10-2010 1:26 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,508

Then get off your duff and  treat is as if I had stolen them and forged your name on them.

Without  making a direct threat you'd probably make it crystal clear to me that I needed to reimbure you $9000 , plus  $NNN for interest   real quick for bonds numbered  XX to YY

• 05-10-2010 1:30 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,508

Treasury has a form for forged Bonds--did you use it? Go try?

For official use only:
    Customer Name Customer No.
    PD F 0974 E
    Department of the Treasury
    Bureau of the Public Debt
    (Revised March 2008)
    AFFIDAVIT OF FORGERY FOR
    UNITED STATES SAVINGS BONDS
    OMB No. 1535-0067
    IMPORTANT: Follow instructions in filling out this form. You should be aware that the making of any false, fictitious, or fraudulent claim or
    statement to the United States is a crime that is punishable by fine and/or imprisonment.
    PRINT IN INK OR TYPE ALL INFORMATION
    1. I, , , certify that I am the
    (Name) (Social Security No.)
    owner coowner beneficiary of the following United States Savings Bonds totaling $ (face amount),
    shown to have been redeemed at
    , and the information below is true and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief  etc-------------

• 05-10-2010 1:46 PM In reply to

mjk5606:
    they were my bonds payable to her upon my death. I obviously am still living.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

mjk5606:
    And it was over $9000 worth. Something to be upset over.

Yes, indeed.

There appears to be a process through the US Treasury by which the Treasury will compel the bank to make good on the bonds that they cashed for her.

Here's the form (not sure if it's the only one) that Drew referred to:

http://www.treasurydir...

I suggest you follow up with the US Treasury and get started on the process.

Keep in mind that making such a claim might subject your mother to federal prosecution.

You might try reminding her of that and give her the opportunity to pay you back. I've never bought the idea that doing something like that amounts to extortion. (Drew and I have an ongoing debate about that.) The Florida statute on extortion certainly doesn't seem to apply when you are just trying to convince somebody to give you what's rightfully yours in the first place:

http://www.leg.state.f...

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 05-10-2010 1:54 PM In reply to

• mjk5606
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-10-2010
    • FL
    • Posts 4

Thank you very much.  Now, I have somewhere to start.

• 05-10-2010 2:19 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,508

The law many places addresses a threat of turning one over for law enforcement as a tool to get you to pay money as a form of extortion  --so you need to be careful about direct threats!  I'm sure attorneys and DA's  do it all the time--but they know what lines not to cross . I suggest you be careful not to make overt threats --leave threats to paid gladiators etc !

Now if you are the victim of a crime you are free to report same any time you want.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community